Accessibility Features for Riders With Limited Mobility
If you use a wheelchair or scooter, or have limited mobility, these accessibility features can help you get around on buses and trains:
- All buses, trains, transit centers and stations are fully accessible to people using mobility devices.
- You can board MAX, WES and Portland Streetcar directly from the station platform. MAX and streetcars have a ramp that extends for easier boarding if you need it.
- Buses are equipped with either a boarding ramp or a power lift. And about half of our buses are low-floor buses that can “kneel,” lowering the first step closer to the curb for easier boarding. Just ask the operator.
- All buses and trains have priority seating areas inside by the door for seniors and riders with limited mobility, plus space for mobility devices.
How to board with a mobility device
- Boarding the bus with a mobility device
- Boarding MAX with a mobility device
- Boarding WES with a mobility device
- Boarding the Portland Streetcar with a mobility device
Types of mobility devices allowed
Wheelchairs and scooters
The power lifts on buses can hold mobility devices up to 30 inches wide and 48 inches long, weighing up to 800 pounds when occupied.
You can bring Segways on buses, MAX, WES and Portland Streetcar, when used as a mobility device due to a disability. (Note: Segways must be turned off when boarding, riding and exiting the vehicle.)