Filming and Photography on TriMet

We will consider requests to film or photograph on TriMet property that is open to the public, including buses, MAX Light Rail and WES Commuter Rail. However, some activities require prior notice, a permit and insurance.

Due to a labor shortage, we may not be able to accommodate requests at this time. We will deny any request that impacts our ridership. Please submit your request at least 14 days prior to your proposed first day of filming or photography.

Do I need a permit?

Permit required

If you wish to film or photograph on TriMet property or vehicles while engaged in a commercial, educational or non-profit activity, a signed permit and acceptable insurance certificates are required. A permit is also required for items that cause disruption to our service even if not on TriMet property.

Submit your permit application at least 14 days prior to your proposed first shoot. A $50 application fee and $200 non-refundable deposit are required. Additional fees may apply.

No permit required

A permit is not required for non-commercial, personal-use filming or photography by the general public. Recording or photography activities must not interfere with TriMet personnel or the safe operation of the transit system.


Apply for a permit


Looking to film on the Tilikum Crossing?


Film/Photo Permit Insurance Requirements PDF

Filming and Photography Guidelines PDF

Price sheet for filming and photography on TriMet PDF



Email or call 503-962-2127.

Portland Streetcar

For filming/photography requests on Streetcar, please contact Connie LaValley at or 503-222-4200.