As part of the Division Transit Project, we’re partnering with the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) to make Division Street safer and more welcoming for everyone. This collaboration supports the City of Portland’s Vision Zero program to eliminate traffic deaths and serious injuries on our streets.
TriMet and PBOT coordinated on the design and construction of safety improvements through two projects: TriMet’s Division Transit Project, along all of Division Street, and PBOT’s Outer Division Safety Project, focused on the area between SE 80th and 174th avenues.
PBOT’s Outer Division Safety Project has already permanently lowered the speed limit to 30 mph, installed speed safety cameras and speed reader boards, added street lighting, filled in missing sections of sidewalk and built several signalized pedestrian crossings.
Additional safety improvements in progress include:
- 10 more signalized pedestrian crossings
- New street lighting between SE 82nd and 92nd avenues in the Jade District and between SE 122nd and 130th avenues in the Division-Midway area
- Protected bike lanes throughout the corridor
- Raised center median along most of the corridor to limit vehicles turning and reduce crashes
TriMet’s Division Transit Project safety improvements in progress now include:
- Nearly 81,000 square feet of new sidewalks along the corridor (59,000 square feet in Portland and 22,000 square feet in Gresham)
- Some 4.5 miles of protected bike lanes, with physical separation when possible
- Twenty new marked crosswalks with stoplights, median islands or flashing lights
- Raised center medians to limit vehicles turning left and reduce serious crashes
- Upgrades and lighting improvements to existing pedestrian crossing signals
For construction emergencies, please call 503-962-2222. For questions or comments, please call 503-962-2150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with our regional partners, we are considering ways to improve safety for people traveling on and crossing Division Street. The Division Transit Project will include design elements such as improved pedestrian crossings at stations, and we will coordinate with other efforts, such as the City of Portland’s Safety Action Plan for Outer SE Division Street, to make Division safer for all users.